what is this item ?

This device actually dates back to the 30's, when a
similar unit was marketed under the name of "Startix".
 With it, all you need is for the key to be in the run
position, the gear in neutral and the car will start
itself.  Eliminates all the strain and effort of
holding the key in the start position!

The only postwar car that used it was the 1957-58
Eldorado Brougham, which had it as standard equipment
-automatic starting being just one more feature on the
most automated car of the 20th Century.  But it was
probably most useful on stick shift cars from the 30's
and 40's.

Chris H.

60 NY T&C
66 LeBaron