Imperial body designation

As far as my education goes, there is NO such thing as a 'Y' body
designation as far as Imperials are concerned.  It just happens to be the
letter in which the VIN number starts in 1966 and up Imperials.  I am not
sure about 1965 and under.  I have seen printed Chrysler literature that
calls Imperials from 64 to 66 'D' bodies, since they share Nothing with the
Chrysler bodies of the same era.  As most of us know, 1966 and back
Imperials had full frames under them while their Chrysler counterparts were
already unibody construction.  I know from reading old list history that
this has been talked to death and always comes up from time to time as new
members come aboard.  Please, Please, Please - never call an Imperial a "C"
body because it is not, I have actually gotten in arguments with car show
operators because they classify my Imperials in a "C" body judging class and
they share almost nothing with these cars.  Carlisle finally caught on a few
years ago and gave Imperials their OWN class instead of putting Imperials
with C bodies.  I am suprised someone at Year One called an Imperial a Y
body, when I spoke to them in 2000 they told me that a 66 Imperial was a D
body.  It really makes very good sense when you go down the list of letter
bodies Chrysler used.  We have commonly referred to body styles, A body, B
body, C body, E body, F body.  Why did they just decide to skip over D ?
Well, they(being Chrysler) did not skip D, it was designated the luxury car
brand for our Imperials.

Dave Brown
64 Crown Coupe
(2) 66 LeBarons
77 Plymouth Gran Fury Sport Suburban
99 Dodge Ram Sport 1500

Wonder if the latest virus has gotten to your computer? Find out. Run the
FREE McAfee online computer scan!

GREAT QUESTION !!

I am curious if the "hemi" heads will WORK on a "poly" head block ????

I've seen a "hemi" piston with the rounded top, but what does the "poly" piston look like ??

I passed up a NICE '55 Dodge wagon because it had a "poly" engine and I was only familiar with the "super red ram" engine of that era.

Also............... is the Imperial actually a "Y" body or is it a "C" bodied car ???

THANKS to everyone out there, I am learning SO MUCH from this list.........

This is such a GREAT CLUB !!!..............CHEERS !!!

Michael Howlett

Boring, Oregon

Looking for a '55 or '56 Mopar........ Imp or wagon

Currently have '77 NYB and a FUNKY old Barracuda

plus a BUNCH of other UNimportant cars.............