The Alphabet Soup of Designations

Dave is correct.

Imperials are "D" bodies. On another list, there was some debate as to whether
or not some New Yorkers were also "D" bodies like Imperials or if they were
also "C" bodies as Newports were. Some
people believe Imperials became C bodies after they adopted unibody
construction in 1967. Others debate whether or not E bodies are merely short
wheel base B bodies, so we aren't alone in these
debates. :-)

Calling Imperials "Y bodies" strikes me funny. Nobody ever ever calls my '72
Satellite Sebring an "R body" because its V.I.N. begins with R. Nor has anybody
ever referred to the '68 Charger R/T I
once owned as an "X body" because of that letter's use as the lead off in the
V.I.N. Both are B bodies.

One friend, familar with Mopar's designation system, was surprised to find
Imperials V.I.N.s also used the "L", "M" and "P" second letter to identify the
price class. As far as he's concerned, ALL
Imperials are P (Premium.) :-)

Ken Josephson
'68 Crown Four Door
'72 Plymouth Satellite Sebring