The Alphabet Soup of Designations

The confusion comes in mixing car LINE and car BODY.   Although Chrysler
offered many car LINES, they shared car BODIES.   General Motors and Ford
also had/have many car lines and share car bodies.   General Motors followed
Chrysler's lead in using a body for more than one car line with the
introduction of the A and B bodies for 1937.   By 1950 even the Cadillac 75
was based on the corporate C body.

For the Chrysler Corporation, the first digit of the 1960-1980 VIN was for
the car LINE, and not the car BODY.  Thus your 1972 Satellite was the "R"
car LINE - it was actually based on the "B" BODY.   Your Charger was also
based on the "B" BODY, but it was the "X" car LINE.  (Chrysler used letters
in 1958 and then numbers to 1963, then numbers or letters in 1964-65.)

The New Yorker was never a "D" body as it never used the 1957-66 Imperial
body, which was the "D" body.   The 1967-75 Imperials were based on Chrysler
Corporation's "C" BODY, although they were "Y" car LINE.

As to the second letter, that referred to the trim level within the car
line.   The levels of trim ran from "E" (Economy), "L" (Low), "M" (Medium),
"H" (High) and "P" (Premium).  Mopar also used "S" (Special) at either end
of the price range.   "K" denoted Police Special, "T" was for Taxi and "O"
for Super Stock.

Bill
Vancouver, BC