Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 7:23 PM
Subject: RE: IML: '66 HD Rear Springs

Hi Roger & Gabby!! I'm not sure, but you could have been referring to me and
the problems I was having with getting those #@%$^&$$# rear springs back on
my '66 convertible a few months ago. I got them from ESPO's Springs & Things.
I forgot the actual costbut if you need it I can go check the book and get
you the exact $$$. I also ordered new shackels/bushings and U-clamps for
attaching the springs to the axel itself. Although I could possibly have
reused some I figured that after so long a time and so many miles I may as
well add NEW whatever I could, and the cost for the bushings/shackels was
minimal. The lady I spoke with at ESPO's was very helpful and really seemed
to know her stuff. In my case, since my car is a 'convertible' the spec's for
the springs themselves are a little different than on, say, a 2-dr or 4-dr
vehicle. The convertible, being a bit heavier, has different 'arc'
and 'radius' figures than the 2/4 dr models would have.
Getting the springs themselves back in place was the hardest part of the
job!!!! don't be surprised if you start looking for new cuss words as it was
not unusual it get everything 'almost' lined up and not be able to force the
rear axel just another 1/4 inch or less to get the alignment pins to fall
into place. I eventually got out the good-old 'come-along' and managed to get
everything to fall in place. What I think (?) happened is that after
disconnecting the springs, shackels, and everything else that actually holds
the rear axel in place, the axel itself may have slipped back (towards the
rear ) when the pressure was removed keeping the driveshaft  in the
trans......it may have moved just enough to cause the problem. If I had to do
it again ( and I might have to!) I would try and come up with some way to
keep pressure on the axel/driveshaft itself so it would NOT try and backout
of the trans.
I say I may have to go thru this again since the drivers side of the car is
still sitting 1 inch lower than the passenger side. ever since putting on the
new springs. I really do not think it is the springs themselves and I have
spoken to the people at ESPO's a few times asking if they have had a problem
on any other similiar springs. They tell me these springs are made in sets of
12 pieces, meaning 6-sets of two springs. And they have had no one else
complain at all about one spring being lower than the other. They said the
only REAL way to tell if its the springs is to change the left on with the
right one, but as you might imagine I am not in any hurry to go thru that
again......although I just might go ahead and bite-the-bullet over the winter
and see if it does either correct the problem or confirm it...if I can be of
any help feel free to contact me directly at: "dan.donna.m@xxxxxxx"
Good Luck and Happy Holidays!!!!
Dan Melnik