Tires

Hi,
9.50 x 14 tires are between "80 and 85 serie", this number is the ratio
width/height of tire side : look at a tire catalog (like the online
coker catalog) and search the 9.50x14 (US Royal): you'll see that this
tire has a 29.50 diameter. You calculate   29.50 - 14 (diameter of
wheel) = 15.50 / 2 = 7.75 which is the tire side height.
Now  7.75 / 9.50 x 100 = 80 % ratio.
Seems that the real widht (cross section) of the tire is 9.05 and not
9.50 so it would be a 85 serie.

If you do the same arithmetic with a L78x15 you find around 80.
And with the 235/75R14 you find .. 75 !

Ther's also at the "WWW radial" page a cross reference table between
bias, radial etc.. Coker names the bias serie like 9.50 x 14 the "83
serie" (just between 80 and 85..)

--

Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)- Webmaster des sites ACCF et C-I-F
Imperial 1957 Crown convertible

- American Car Club de France (ACCF) : http://www.accf.com

- Chrysler Imperial France (C-I-F) : http://www.ifrance.com/c-i-f

- Cadillac " Standard of Excellence " : http://www.ifrance.com/accf-cad