413 vs 400 engine swap-Why?

If you are trying to find the most economical way to get your Imp back on the
road, this may be your best solution.  If on the other hand performance is
important to you, then you may not be satisfied with the conversion.  As a
compromise between the two, you could consider increasing the compression ratio
of the 400, and possibly install a larger cam, along with a 4 barrel intake
manifold (the manifold is a must, I think).  This may compesante for at least
part of the performance loss, especially at the upper rev range where the
potentially better flowing heads, combined with the better bore to stroke
ratio, and proper compression ratio could give an at least similar power output
(the low range may never be what the 413 offered).  However, the bad news here
is that the best way to increase the compression ratio to, say 10.0-10.5 is
replacing the pistons, meaning an almost complete engine disassembly.  You
could mill the heads, but this is good for only modest increases in compression
ratio.

Taking this thought further, you could also reduce the gear ratio from 2.94 to
say 3.23, to utilize the better revving potential of your new powerplant and
have less impact of the loss in low end torque.  But the cost of all this will
probably exceed the cost for resleeving the 413 or getting the expensive
oversize pistons.

D^2, 2x68s

Quoting SFSurfDude@xxxxxxx: