An Imperial visit!

Greetings all,

        I wanted to let you all know that I had the opportunity last
Sunday to be able to visit Paul Wentink here in Seattle.  We had met
briefly years ago when I was at Jeff Carter's home having one of my many
panic stricken emergencies with my '60 red convertible.  I believe I was
at Jeff's because the hood release cable came out in my hand one
Saturday, which was doublely bad because my power steering
pump/reservoir was leaking at a horrific rate, and I was due to drive
the following day in the Seattle Pride parade.  While Jeff was fixing
the cable Paul came by and we met.  Never saw, or heard from him again
until the red '60 came up as a subject a few weeks ago.  Paul contacted
me, and we talked a great length about Imperials, and the red '60
convertible that he had actually seen when it was no more than a field
rotted ragtop with no interior left, and spoke of other local people
that related to Imperials.  Anyway, Paul invited me down to Burien where
he lives with his many cars.  He has so many Imperials, and various
other makes, he needs two houses and garages to keep them!

        I drove down Sunday last in my '66 Crown Convertible, and met
Paul again.  We spent a few hours looking over his wide assortment of
Imperials (at least one of each style, EXCEPT a '57-'59, '67-'68,
Fuselage, '74-'75, '81-'83, '90-'93).

        Paul knew of a '60 4dr Southampton for sale locally, and asked
me if I wanted to check it out.  I was game, so after I had been driving
us around all morning in my '66, Paul brought out his beautiful '63
Crown 4dr Southampton for the trip.  This car is the one featured on the
cover of the new calendar.  Check out the cover and look at the three
small photos on the right hand side that feature the light blue '63,
that is the car.  When we were driving to see the '60, it was such a gas
to be in a '63 again.  I had owned one as my first Imperial, and sadly
had to sell it to pay for work on the '60 Convertible when I bought it.
When we arrived to see the '60, my heart just sank.  This old feller
wanted $3,800.00 for a moss covered, mold & mildew eaten interior, bent
bumpered, rusting car.  He had a battery charger hooked up, and the
engine actually started for a moment.  The man actually stated that the
car had a 318 in it so it would get better mileage!  Paul politely
thanked the man for his time, and we left.

        Paul was very taken with my '66, and I let him know about the
yearly Cascade Loop tour, and that he must join this year.  All in all a
very pleasant day, and I was given a calendar to boot!

        I hope each of you has a very merry Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanza,
or whatever holiday you chose to/chose not to celebrate.  As you give
and receive gifts remember the gift you have already received that sits
in your driveway or garage.  I am thankful for this list, and all the
knowledge gained from it.  Thanks go to the vendors who keep old
Imperials around for parts for the rest of us.  May they always be
bountiful.  May we as a group search for and keep Imperials out of the
hands of Derby people.

        I am off now in my '66 Convertible (Doris Day) sleigh, riding on
Firestone 721's, with an original style single pot brake system that now
works better than ever with a newly rebuilt booster to buy my cats some
fresh catnip and smoked salmon for their Christmas gifts.

        Merry Christmas to one and all, and remember to keep in mind the
true meaning of this season.

Imperially yours,

Bill Ulman
Seattle, WA