76 vs. 77 NYBs

 From a casual examination, um, well you could have a look at the VIN.
76/77 are very similar.  If it has the lined velour interior it is a 77
(I don't think this was avail in 76, but is quite common in 77 cars).
If the stereo has knobs on either side of the radio frequency display/8
track bay, it's a 76.  There aren't any obvious external differences.
You might also look at the speedometer.  In Canada for 77 the large
print was km and I think American cars had km in small print, 76 was
miles only for both destinations.