Automobile Mold

Brad, Your problem is not uncommon if only more extensive than most.  I have seen stored cars just dripping in condensation on the inside.  If you are removing the entire interior anyway, a mild bleach solution and scrubbing of the metal should kill anything.  Obviously you can't bleach fabrics and under the dash.  409 cleaner works great at cleaning vinyls and of course you can look for antibacterial products.  The key is getting your car dried out and keeping it that way.  When storing a car you should always put drying agents in the car.  I used to use a product called dry pac that I found thru Hemming's. They are cloth bags that contain moisture absorbant pellets.  This is helpful in preserving interior chrome as well.  If you have stripped and cleaned the interior then just get a fan going in there for a couple of days and get it dryed out.  Check your air-conditioning and heating ducts and make sure they are clean because that will be the best way to blow mold all over the car again.

Headliners are the worst, if your car is as bad as you indicate, replacement is the only option for cloth, vinyl of course, can be washed in place.  Steam cleaning and Fabreeze are good for killing odors but introduce moisture.  That is ok if the items are outside the car and can be given a place to dry thoroughly.   If the mold is under the seats and in the foam, I don't know what you do other than get seats from another car.  Your safest bet on the carpet is to replace it as we are talking micro-organisms here.  Hope this helps.

Richard Burgess
'60 Crown

Brad Hogg <roadhogg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
A couple years ago, my brother offered to store my 1968 Chrysler in his
shed. The shed is a rather new building but it is not heated and has a
gravel floor. The shed also has no insulation and is meta clad. When we
put the car in there, we covered it completely with a very large nylon tarp.
What I forgot to do is to leave the windows down a little. Recently, my
brother loaded the car onto his trailer in preparation to haul it back here
and he noticed that there is an overwhealming mould growing in the car.
This, no doubt, due to hot and humid conditions in the car in the summer
months. He is very afraid that this mould is dangerous and could spread to
my garage, other cars and possibly my house. The car needs to have the
seats and carpet removed anyway so I thought if I did that and also removed
the door panels, headliner and package shelf and all the associated padding
etc, should I not be able to contain this mould? Is there s product that
could kill a mould like this by spraying it into the car? What about the
area up under the dash? I don't want to have to take that dash apart.

Has anyone ever faced anything like this?

Thanks in advance for your help and, Happy New Year!

Brad Hogg
Winnipeg, Manitoba
http://www.nybclub.org/membercars/bradhogg/index.htm
1990 Chrysler Imperial 4-door Sedan (the KImperial)
1978 Chrysler Newport 4-door Hard Top (the Newporker)
1977 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 4-door Hard Top (the Irish lass)
1976 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham 4-door Hard Top (the Black Beast)
1968 Chrysler Newport Custom 4-door Sedan (Grand-Dad's car)