why Imperials were so expensive

Economies of scale would probably be the biggest difference between Imperial and a more widely produced car such as Chrysler, Plymouth, or Chevrolet.

Example:
Take a small bit like a radio knob or something.  It takes a cast to mold it and then five seperate manufacturing steps to make either car's knob.  Each step requires a tool to complete the step.
Each tool costs $1000 to aquire.  Make 2000 knobs for the Imperial line, or make 200,000 (different, but same machine tool cost) knobs for the Chrysler line.  The $5000 cost for the 5 units of tooling spread across 2000 Imperial pieces winds up costing the imperial buyer $2.50 per unit and the 100,000 unit Chrysler knob costs $0.05 each.  Five cents versus $2.50 all over the car and you're starting to see some HUGE production cost differences.

Add in the fact that the Imperial item get dipped thrice instead of once, gets hand inspected, and maybe takes 25% more material or more expensive material.

That is without labor or other factors that were not in my example.

Next, pick your favorite year, 1955-1975 and look at the production numbers that Imperial and Cadillac had.   Most Cadillac production numbers,for Cad during this time were ten times higher than Imp.

Imperial had "better" materials and workmanship with one tenth the volume to absorb fixed costs like tooling and design and so forth, but they engineered the hell out of them anyway!  How Chrysler absorbed the extra manufacturing costs for Imperial for 30+ years without skyrocketing past Cadillac out of that price segment is something I'd be interested to hear about....

One way would be to increasingly share parts across lines, as the fuselage cars did with Chrysler, Imperial, and Plymouth (Idler arms not withstanding), but by the time that it came to that, Opec was busy putting the writing on the wall for big cars....

-------

There's a story that I read about Henry Ford and the Model T.  He had his people go into junkyards and tear apart tin-lizzies to find out what was (statistically) worn out at the car's time of death and what wasn't.  The report came back very rosy that EVERYTHING was wearing out, for the most part.  The only item that consistently showed no wear was a kingpin that held something major together, but was static and didn't "do" anything else.  A big bolt, basically.

To the shock of management, which thought that the report had meant that they were making their cars with the proper planned obsolecence/wear-out-able factor, Henry ordered that the kingpins be reduced in mass 25% (or whatever, I can't remember) and he saved several tons of steel over the course of the years, the cost of which all went to the bottom line and added up into hundreds of thousands of dollars after awhile......

So why was Chevrolet so much cheaper to buy than an Imperial?  Go unbolt one of your car's parts and hold it in your hand.  Then go to the parts counter and request the similar part found on the competition's car.  I think that you'll see a difference right away based on weight alone, and more material costs more to begin with, let alone what it took to manufacture that part out of its base raw material.  My toes noticed when I dropped the front bumper on them!

All that and I got my really nice 1973 for $1000.  What a steal compared to any new car under $75k today, and no microchips to fry later.  Think a top car of today will still do all of its gadgety-things when the silicon gets brittle?  I'm in heaven.  It's a buyer's market.

-Kenyon

jsadowski <jsadowski@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Don't forget to add larger profit.
John