61 Imperial on Ebay, Run! Maybe...

Anthony,

I am with Mr. LeCrown on this one, but not because it isn't worth saving. You
stated yourself that you are tired of restoration. In that case, if you want a
'61 Two Door Southampton you should wait for a good one and pay $30,000+ for
it. This car needs plenty. He is right about it needing way more than is
visible from the pictures.

As far as the car itself, I have seen cars much worse than that used as a basis
for restoration. Yes it needs everything, but once you decide to take it
completely apart, replacing the trunk floor, or even the complete floor isn't
impossible.

Given the rarity of 1961 Imperials, and two door hardtops in particular (that
one looks like a Crown) I would say if you have the money and the energy why
not check it out? The only thing that I believe would make it hopeless is a
rotten frame. Restoring a car from the ground up is a very rewarding and
educational experience, especially if you decided to do it yourself.

I would love to see someone take on a project like that. At this point it is a
shame for any Imperial to end up as a parts car. I read a story about someone
here on the IML that actually bought a parts car from a junk yard to restore.
Nothing illustrates better than this hobby that beauty is indeed in the eye of
the beholder. For that matter, if we were doing this for the money few of us
would be here.

Paul