From: mopar48291@xxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2004 8:30 PM
Subject: IML: Imperials sighted/early AZ auction action

I just spent the day looking at all sorts of cars for sale and at auction
here in Phoenix.  The solitary Imperial offered at the Silver Auction was a,
at first glance, sharp looking '61 4 door Southampton in green.  Closer
examination revealed the green to be more John Deere than anything on the '61
color chip chart, but fairly well done.  The interior, was far from the mark,
with a cloth insert that never graced the interior of an automobile and a
dreadful green vinyl headliner.  Chips in the paint showed it to be
originally painted Malibu Tan.  The wire wheels (Motor Wheel, not Kelsey
Hayes, for sure) with wide whitewall radials and a pentastar on the front
fender completed the picture.... She "sold" at $11,500.
On to the Scottsdale Pavilions, the longest running every Saturday car show
on the planet.  Again, only one Imperial--a '59 Crown 2dr Southampton
Silvercrest in Silverpine metallic.  The paint looked a bit light to be
Silverpine and way too nice to be original, but I could find no evidence of a
respray.  The Oyster leather in the swivel seats was excellent, tho the
inserts had been changed to a black hopsack cloth.  The LeBaron wheelcovers
and radial tires were the only other detraction from the originality of this
Minnesota-plated car.
Next week, we "only" have three auctions--Barrett-Jackson, RM and Russo &
Steel to choose from, followed by the Kruse auction at the end of the month.
Alas, I left all my Imperials at home today.
Peace,
Roger