Exner Years

At 10:19 AM 1/22/04 EST, you wrote:
> There is the new 300, which is a very nice car, but comparable to a
Pontiac, > Bonneville.

This is the best indication yet that the promotion for the 300-C (sic) is
about as retro as the car's size, power and looks.

Chrysler needs to speak up!

The 2005 300-C (sic) is a 340 horsepower car whose engine is a 348 cubic
inch hemi-head V8 (my calculation may be wrong, but 5.7 liters means
nothing to me). It is more powerfull than current sedans from both Cadillac
and Lincoln. (The Bonneville pales at 275 h.p.) The Chrysler has a zero to
60mph time of 6.3 seconds, which chases the BMW 745i.

The wheelbase is 120 inches long, making it the first car of size in the
Chrysler camp in years.

Standard equipment in the 300-C (sic) includes AutoTemp, electroluminescent
instrumentation, plus the usual safety devices the modern driver can't
leave home without.

It is a wonderfully nostalgic package marred only by the inappropriate
nomencalture (it ought be a 300-B, 300-N, C-300, or better yet, New
Yorker), and an old Chrysler marketing mistake.

Chrysler is selling less expensive, V6-powerd versions of 300-C (sic) right
along side it. No one knew better how to rob a prestige car's thunder
better than MoPar.

You can take that two ways. Base price for the 300-C (sic) is currently
stated as $32,995. That is a huge savings compared to today's unconvincing
Cadillacs.

The new Chrysler makes me hopeful for our old Imperials and the inspiration
they want to give. No one has listened for such a long, long time.

Dave Duricy
1973 Imperial LeBaron
1968 Imperial Crown convertible