Exner Years/new 300

Just FYI, the model line is called 300 Series.

It comes in three trim levels:
300 Touring (base)
300 Limited
300C

The 300C is only available with the Hemi and is badged "300 Hemi C" on its
trunk. The lower trim levels come with a choice of two V6 engines, 2.7 and
3.8. Even the base model has 17" wheels, though with plastic wheel covers,
so it's not a cop car (though Magnum would make a hot one there!)...

Chrysler needs the lower trim levels because there is no Plymouth, and their
dealers need a midpriced sedan to sell. It's a whole lot smarter strategy
than Dodge's risky all-wagon line with Magnum. Expect a Magnum sedan within
a year, I predict.

All-wheel drive will arrive for both Magnum and 300 by midyear, and will be
offered with the Hemi.

The cars are large, well-finished (based on the models I experienced at the
Detroit Auto Show), roomy, have great presence, and are rear-wheel drive
like a luxury car should be. Add in the Mercedes-derived rear suspension and
5-speed automatic (both of which are arguably the best in the industry) and
features like Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and you have an extremely
competitive premium car. Yes, they're pricey at the top of the line (so are
the Pacifica and Town & Country, all hitting $40K), but a new DeVille can
easily hit $60,000 with a few options and it's a FWD car of aged design with
far less power and rental-car image.

The 300C could easily have worn the Imperial name with pride, but as the
modern definition of a luxury sedan wears some sportiness, it's actually far
truer to what a 300 always was and not Imperial. To me, the closest thing
Chrysler has done to a car worthy of the Imperial name in the last ten years
was the Phaeton show car (or a Jeep Grand Cherokee, since it had the most
luxury features of any Chrysler product). Don't expect to see one of those
soon, especially since the bigwigs decided to produce a super-exotic 800hp
sports car as the surprise centerpiece of this year's Detroit Auto Show.

By the way, you can get all the info on the new 300 and Magnum, down to
pricing and "build your own" features, online at chrysler.com and dodge.com.

Chris in LA
67 Crown
78 NYB Salon