'60 rear drums are stuck! Help...LeCrown has a death grip on its drums

'60 rear drums are stuck! Help...LeCrown has a death grip on its drums

Tip an old mechanic gave me:
    Loosen the castle nut( that holds the drum to the axle) just enough so there is a little play on the washer. Drive car around block slowly. When the washer is tight again, the drum has moved/broken free. Loosen castle nut again slightly,drive some more till tight against washer. Try hub puller again. Works if car runs and you are patient. Good luck
Don

richard burgess wrote:

Hi Everyone, It's happened again, stuck drums on a car that sat for 20 years.  I searched through all the club archives and came up with bits and pieces of info. but nothing definitive.  The wheels turn freely its just the drums will not come off.  I broke one wheel puller, bought another and bent a stud.  This was all done while heating the drum with a propane torch, cooling, heating, cooling, it just would not come off.  My father and I gave up.  My shop said not to worry they would get the drums off.  Well guess what? They can't!  Anyone got any new ideas?  This is a very low miliage rear end so I want to do anything I can to avoid damaging any parts.  I know this is an old story but figure a rehash on this topic certainly could not hurt. I have almost finished completely revising my restoration story with new updates and pictures so that should be coming up in the next week or so.As always, any help is appreciated!

Richard Burgess

1960 Imperial 4-dr. sedan "LeCrown"

lecrown60@xxxxxxxxx

Do you Yahoo!?