Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:34 PM
Subject: IML: rear drums are stuck!

There is a picture (#9) of the puller that I used on my car on the link below.  I put thick axle grease on the threads of the puller and ran it in and out through the threaded hole so that the lubricant was all over the threaded surfaces.  This reduces friction in the threads, yeilding more pulling power for a given amount of pressure applied.

I got the puller at the local place that only sells tools.   Get the biggest one that you can find.  The threaded part appears to be hardened.

The tool comes with a dog-bone shaped bar that fits over the hex head, but I did not use this.  Instead I used an impact wrench and correct socket to fit the end of the tool.

Popped right off.  The car had had brakes done shortly before being parked 25 years previously, so maybe I got lucky, but that puller worked on several others.  The drive-it around the block with the nut backed off a little sounds good too.

Good luck!!!

Kenyon