chrome pitting

OK, now I know why.  Now how do I get them off the
chrome parts?  I have used Mothers and other products
without good results.  Does anyone on the list have a
good idea?
RC Billings Montanaaaaa
 --- James <nyb@xxxxxxx> wrote: > The why's associated
with pitting are not exactly
> straightforward, but
> here are the basics:
>
> A pit results with the development of a local anode
> where the metal is
> oxidised (loses electrons).  Electrons from the now
> oxidised metal atoms
> travel through the metal to a cathodic area where
> water is reduced
> (gains electrons).  The metal ions formed in the
> process can either be
> simply washed away, or they may be carried by water
> to the cathodic site
> where they can join up with the products of water
> reduction to form an
> oxide.  In the case of iron this is why you find
> orange deposits off to
> the side of the pit.
>
> What causes a site in the metal surface to become
> anodic has a lot to do
> with the metallurgy of the metal in question.  Pits
> often form at stress
> points, areas containing impurities (in stainless
> steels sulfur is a
> frequent culprit), and because alloys are never
> truly homogeneous some
> parts will simply oxidise more easily than others.
> Pits in chromed bits
> and pieces may also start in areas where there are
> flaws in the chrome
> plating, including microscopic cracks, that can
> expose more easily
> oxidised metals underneath.  Chromium itself is
> pretty corrosion
> resistant due to the formation of a thin oxide layer
> that acts as a
> barrier, the same principle goes for aluminium.
> However, scratches and
> other damages (including rocks that hit headlights)
> that result with
> time can both expose what lies beneath, and perhaps
> more significantly,
> create areas where water can collect.  Even if your
> car doesn't get wet
> too often, or the pitted part is inside the car,
> don't discount the
> presence of water vapour in the air.
>
> As for prevention, as stated earlier, a lot depends
> on the manufacture
> of the metal.  However, keeping the car dry, clean
> (acids in "dirt" can
> acclerate the process), and trying not to damage the
> metal will help.
> Polish as necessary, but keep in mind that every
> time you do that you
> add more little scratches.  You also remove the
> aforementioned oxide
> layer, making the metal form a new one, reducing the
> amount of metal in
> the metallic state, although this is a minor point.
>
> James
>
> Captden30@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > i was polishing the headlite rings from my 53
> imperial, which has some
> > pitting. i became curious as to why these pieces
> "pit" and what
> > exactly is pitting. we all know what it looks
> like, but what is really
> > the root cause. i would assume that age is a
> [...]

=====
RC Billings, Montanaaaaaa

http://www.imperialclub.com/temp/1955/RogerCrabtree/

http://greetings.yahoo.com.au - Yahoo! Greetings
Send your love online with Yahoo! Greetings - FREE!