Carpet edges - finishes

To answer Laurie's question, no, I have never seen a home serger that wous even BEGIN to handle carpeting. Most don't even deal well with threee layers of polar fleece - the acid test when I bough mine - over a high-end Juki model costign three ties the price of my little White superlock. For those still in the dark regarding the term, it is binding the raw edge of material with multiple threads to prevent ravelling. Typically, sergers trim off a thin edge of material as they bind it in thread, using very sharp knife sets.

Carpet edges are typically either serged (by an industrial machine - I don't even want to think about financing one, let alone maintaining it) or bound with matching color bias tape.  I have done carpet edge binding on my old Singer industrial straight stitcher, but it's an unpleasant job at best, carpet being particularly harsh to handle. If I had to have carpet sets made for a car, I would definitely seek out someone who is already set up to do the work - providing them with good templates would be the easy part!

 I found a fellow in Vancouver WA who advertises such a service - was going to check him out next summer, of whenever I had enough cash to get \Lucille's floorboards re-dressed. Will have to find link again, then will post it to the list.

Kate Justet Triplett
Kate's Custom Gunleather
Monroe, WA USA