Please Welcome Carl Falletta

Quoting Dick Benjamin <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>:

> I urge you to think again before modifying any old car, especially one this
> rare and nice.  If you want a car with lockup torque converter, consider
> adding an 81-83 EFI coupe to your collection.

I have a lockup converter in my 68 LeBaron.  The transmision is most likely a 78
torqueflite for 440's.  The 69 440 installed on the car had a bit too much
torque for the transmision, however after a shift kit (increased pressure) and
external oil cooler, it looks like the transmision can handle the 440.  As for
the advantages of the lockup torque converter, they are noticeable mostly
around town where the speeds are low and converter slippage is high.  At over
70, there is little difference.  If you want to install a 4 speed transmission,
follow Dick's advice and stay away from the A-904's.  As an alternative, "Gear
Vendors" builds an overdrive electric system that bolts on to the torquflite.
These are expensive ($2K) but they are supposed to be very tough.  You would
have to change your dif. ratio, as the final ratio would be too tall.  A lower
gear will give you better accelerations in city traffic as well.

D^2