swapping a/c compressors

What is entailed in changing a/c compressors? Do you have to evacuate the
entire system? I have to lose the a/c compressor in my '83 because it will
completely cover the thermostat housing. I can't just leave it off, because
the pulley is needed to align the alternator belt.  I have 2 options. I can
try to get an older style compressor and mount it in front of the engine or
I can get a full set of Magnum accessories and brackets.  That would let me
use the modern Sanden (sp?) compressor, but I'm not sure if it will be
compatible with the rest of my system.

ROb

http://wine.msn.com/