carburetor swap

On Yellow Eagle, my 67 crown coupe, the Holley carb
had been acting very un-Imperial.  The carb was
apparently an aftermarket carb put on by the previous
owner- it looked like your standard Holley (bowls in
front and back) but had an electric choke.  Anyway,
the idle wasn't very good, no matter how much I fussed
with it, and it seemed to run rich all the time.  Fuel
economy at best was about 13 mpg on the highway.

I found and won a Carter 9635 off of eBay, for the
princely sum of $36 plus shipping.  This was also a
newer carb, with the electric choke.  The seller
claimed it had "just" come off of a running vehicle.
Of course, the definition of the length of time "just"
varies...sufficed to say, the old fuel hose clinging
to the carb nipple was dried and brittle.

Regardless, I bolted it on just to see if it would
work before I rebuilt it.  Low and behold, it did!
The first time I cranked her up the accelerator pump
flooded over and the car began to idle rich, then
stall.  I tapped the carb body with a rubber mallet,
thinking it had a stuck float, then tried again.  This
time, the car idled fine and there was no leakage.
The only problem with the carb seems to be a broken
electric choke, but the one from the Holley should fit
it.  Luckily, it was rather warm (55) here in D.C.
today, so the carb wasn't really needed.

I took the YE to work today, and the car has lots of
get up and go, and idles smoother than it did with the
Holley.  I hope gas mileage will be better, but we'll
have to wait and see about that.

I noticed on the Holley that all 4 barrels are
identical in size (~1 9/16") whereas the Carter has
smaller primaries (~1 7/16") than secondaries (~1
11/16").  This I think is contributing to the better
low end torque with the Carter, as well as a more
pronounced boot to the butt when the secondaries
(controlled by a weight-actuated air door as opposed
to vacuum as on the Holley) kick in.  I had it up to
110 on the flat highway without even kicking in the
secondaries.  The lady in the Accord was struggling to
keep up *grin*.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

One point eight litres