From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Charles=20Cumming?= [mailto: charles_cumming@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 21:51:40 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: RE: IML: starting 63 413

<DIV>Something else to consider is the condition of the plugs themselves. I had
similar trouble recently with my 60 Desoto Adventurer (383ci). After checking
the entire ignition and fuel system, an old friend suggested I check the plugs
for 'shorting'. I couldn't understand how at first as the plugs only had about
500 miles on them. Took each plug out and true enough, just about every plug
was shorting out. Spark was present but jumping from the electrode to the side
wall of the plug itself. Under compression, there would not be any spark at
all. A fresh set of plugs later and she fired up almost immediately.</DIV>
<DIV>Hope this helps.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>Charles Cumming</DIV>
<DIV>1960 DeSoto Adventurer</DIV>
<DIV>Ireland.<BR><BR><B><I>Christopher Middlebrook
<delamothe@xxxxxxxxxx></I></B> wrote:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px;
BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"><BR>The ballast resistor should be in the
neighborhood of 2 ohms.<BR>Your current limit should be at around 4
amps.<BR>The resistance of the coil should be between 1 and 2 ohms.<BR>There
may be some corrosion at either the + or ground terminals that you may want to
check - not at the battery but at the starter or wherever in the chassis the
ground terminal hooks to.<BR><BR>Chris Middlebrook<BR>62 Custom
Southampton<BR><BR><BR><BR>--- On Mon 02/23, Matt Hopkins < mhoppy@xxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:<BR>From: Matt Hopkins [mailto: mhoppy@xxxxxxxxxxx]<BR>To:
-0600<BR>Subject: RE: IML: starting 63 413<BR><BR>The car won't start without
ballast resistor working or a bypass of some<BR>sort<BR><BR>-----Original
Message-----<BR>From:
 Behalf Of
 Brian Shea<BR>Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 8:03 AM<BR>To:
Mailing-List<BR>Subject: IML: starting 63 413<BR><BR><BR>I turned the motor
over by hand, put a new battery in it,and it turns over a<BR>little slow and
wont fire.I noticed 2 wires that were chewed on the fire<BR>wall.They look like
they were connected to<BR>two white resistor looking things.Are these ballast
resistors,and would thi<BR>have an effect on the spark.The points are set
perfectly.<BR><BR><BR><BR>----------------- http://www.imperialclub.com
be<BR>shared with everyone. Private messages (and attachments) for
the<BR>Administrators should be sent to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>To
UN-SUBSCRIBE, g<BR>o to
http://imperialclub.com/unsubscribe.htm<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>-----------------
http://www.imperialclub.com -----------------<BR>This message was sent to you
by the
 Imperial Mailing List. Please <BR>reply to mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
your response will be <BR>shared with everyone. Private messages (and
attachments) for the<BR>Administrators should be sent to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<BR>To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to
 Excite! - http://www.excite.com<BR>The most personalized portal on the
Web!<BR><BR><BR>----------------- http://www.imperialclub.com