58 /Neutral Safety / Mechanic

You wrote:

> Well, I don't have a '58 Imperial so I can't say for sure, but it would
seem to me that whether you turn the key to start the car or push a button,
there would have to be something to keep it from starting in gear. If this
function is dealt with by the button itself, it would still be worth
testing.

Indeed it would.  All the other vehicles I can think of that have a starter
button, including a 1958 fire truck, have manual transmission, and you can
start those in any gear you like.  I wish I had experience with another
automatic with push button.  As stated in my first messsage, the neutral
button is what you use to start the car.  My 58 happens to have been altered
and it has an auxillary button just below the key.  The neutral button still
works and I cannot account for why the second button was added.
Regrettably, the car can be started in gear.  When the adjustment of the
buttons on my car was not up to par, it was prudent to have a foot on the
brake pedal during start up.  There is no park position on these
transmissions, either, and the small drum on the drive shaft was not always
enough to stop unwanted movement.

> Taking the car into a shop isn't always the best answer either, Hugh.

 And that is why, Paul, I did not say "take it to a shop."  What I said was
it needs to be looked at by a mechanic.  My point was that there is
insufficient information to determine the cause of the starting problem and
any number of culprit items to account for it.  As I do not know what the
originl author's level of comptency is, suggesting a mechanic was prudent.
I do agree that taking the car to any old shop will not neccessarily produce
a good result.  However, if the author lacks the requisite skills to find
the fault, neither will guessing at what is wrong.  An experienced friend or
local enthusiast would be preferable to taking it to a shop.  This allows
the novice, if indeed this is what he is,  a much better opportunity to
observe and learn.

Hugh