58 Random Starting/Neutral Safety

Well, I don't have a '58 Imperial so I can't say for sure, but it would seem to
me that whether you turn the key to start the car or push a button, there would
have to be something to keep it from starting in gear. If this function is
dealt with by the button itself, it would still be worth testing.

Taking the car into a shop isn't always the best answer either, Hugh. To
illustrate, my Mark VI Lincoln wouldn't start once (well many times, folks, its
an old Lincoln) so I foolishly panicked, had it towed to a shop. The shop
replaced the starter, the relay, the battery terminals, and the ground strap.
The car started for them, so it was pronounced "cured".

I drove the car home, and the next day it wouldn't start. I got out my little
jumper wire with alligator clips on both ends, jumped the lead to the neutral
safety and it started. I am certain that this had been the problem all along.
At least if I had been smart, and not panicked, I would have tried it and
possibly saved myself all the trouble and nearly $1,000.

The problem with a shop is that they need to fix cars and move them out, fast.
As Imperial collectors we have "more time" than they do to hunt down little
problems that have massive impact on our enjoyment of the cars. All of us know
that old cars do stinky things all the time. We supposedly enjoy this sort of
thing and that is why we are in it, right?

Now I need to get ready to go to my day job.

Paul