1971 Paisley Topped Imperial

--- Richard Woodside <rwoodside@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I wonder whether anyone knows whether the paisley
> tops were installed at the factory or at the
> dealership?

An excellent question, Dick!  I have a '71 Imperial
Dealer Album that shows a sample of the top material
-- a picture of it is shown at
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Paisley/index.htm

This sample, combined with the handwritten note in the
album stating "cancelled November 27, 1970," lead me
to believe that the tops were installed at the
factory.  The cancellation notice sounds like a notice
that would have come from the factory to let the
dealers know the option was no longer available.  I
also assume that the "V1M" code for this top would be
stamped on the data plate and on the build sheet, so
unless the cars left the factory with NO vinyl top at
all, this would be an indicator on the assembly line
to install that top.

It's certainly an interesting option!

Elijah