Headlamp System Relay Upgrade

Regarding headlamp switches that overheat and fail >

                                *****************
A burned switch seems to be a common problem
with this model car.  I have seen it on every Dodge Mirada, Chrysler Cordoba
and Imperial I have come across in the salvage yards, so for everyone out
there that has one of these cars I suggest you keep a spare one handy.
                                *****************

I'll repost some info:
There is a good website that gives a detailed instruction how to wire the
headlamp circuit through a relay. This upgrade isolates the largest load
from the headlamp switch using a fused link directly from the alternator as
source of power to the power hungry headlamps. I have installed the relay
kit from this site on my 1972 Newport. The specific relay upgrade site is at
 http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html
An informative tech overview of automotive lighting is at
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/tech.html
The proprietor, Dan Stern, is an excellent help in this field. He is well
versed in Moparaea...??

As most cars come, the power for the four 45-75 watt headlamps, the 10-15
running lights for some cars, and the many dashboard lights all route
through the headlamp switch. I'm thinking that the digital dashboard
probably takes more juice than a standard instrumentation light bulb system,
but I don't have the specs. All this going through a standard switch that
sees frequent duty could explain the burned switch problem. A relayed
circuit would be the logical preventative medicine to preserve an unmelted
switchbox.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'72 Newport Custom Sedan