PUTTING A NEW RADIO IN THE DASH

--- Bruce Stubblefield <audiblefeast@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to replace the in-dash AM-FM-8 track
> in my 1971 Crown.  I have a good modern aftermarket
> AM/FM/CD that I would like to put in its place.
> Rather than mount under-dash (where it now lives in
> my 67 Coronet), does anyone know of a kit that will
> allow me to put it in the dash. Or is this ahopeless
> task?

Hopeless might be too strong a word, but it IS a
pretty big job to replace this radio.  If your car had
the "regular" AM/FM stereo without the 8-track, it
would be much easier.

I replaced the AM/FM 8-track in my '71 Imperial about
10 years ago.  There is no kit made for these cars
(big surprise, righ?), so I managed to find a generic
kit that kinda-sorta worked.  I then used a generic
piece of black plastic to cover the hole left where
the 8-track slot was.

Frankly, it was far more trouble than it was worth
(for me, at least).  After a few years, I took it out
and put the original back in, which sounds just as
good.

If you want to use a CD player, I'd recommend getting
one of those little devices that you plug into the CD
player and which then broadcasts on a low frequency,
so that you're actually playing the CD though the
original car stereo.  They can be had on eBay cheaply,
and are a much easier solution.

And are you sure your '71 is a Crown?  '70 was the
last year for a Crown -- all '71s were LeBarons.

Thanks,

Elijah
1965 Imperial LeBaron
1967 Chrysler Newport (which just came back to life
TODAY!)
1970 Imperial LeBaron
1971 Imperial LeBaron