Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 12:58 PM
Subject: Re: IML: 2004 Chrysler 300C !!

Hi, all --

>>This is definitely a car that could proudly carry the
>>Imperial name if D-C were so inclined

It is unlikely that D-C will apply the Imperial nameplate to a luxury appointed 300C because the car would be in direct competition against D-C's luxury brand.  And, as much as we'd like to see it, the nameplate does not resonate with American car buyers who are spending upwards of $45K (hypothetical base price for Hemi-equipped '95 Imperial).  It will take a marketing mindset turnaround at corporate HQ before that happens.

When imports were out of the mainstream in this country, the Big Three each needed a top-of-the-line nameplate as a marketing tool more than as a source of profit.  Now each of them owns a luxury import brand and they have positioned their domestic brands accordingly.  That's why you don't see a Lincoln in the same class as a Jaguar.  Absent the marketing tool requirement and absent the profit, it does not make business sense for D-C to revive the Imperial nameplate on a domestic offering.

And you won't see a European import with the familiar Imperial eagle logo because it looks too much like now-discredited political symbols used throughout their history.

My suggestion is to buy a base Hemi-eqiuppd 300C to a coachworks and have it appointed.  Novel idea, no?

-- David