Imperial 1993 Questions...

Its pretty hard to screw up but it is messy.

Jack up the front of the car and support it on a pair of good jack stands
(also called axle stands).  You have to remove the many many small bolts
that hold the transmission oil pan on. (the tranny pan is located more to
the driver's side of the car than the engine oil pan is)  Be sure to have a
new filter and a tube of good quality black RTV.  Take out all those bolts
and the oil will come gushing out all over.  You can figure out how to do it
with the most finesse.  Yank the old oil filter outa the tranny (it can take
a stern yank sometimes) and after fitting the new filter with the correct
rubber O ring (should be provided with the filter) slide the new filter on.
Same thing here, it can take a good push to get it on there.  Don't overdo
it and crack it or anything, just dont be timid is all I'm saying.  Take the
pan to the bench and wash it out with solvent.  You will be able to do some
inspection of the oil for any small particles or shards...hopefully you find
none.  Wash the pan thoroughly with solvent and dry it out with compressed
air or LINT FREE towell.  Apply a nice ribbon of black RTV to the face of
the pan where it meets the tranny.  Be sure the RTV makes a continuous seal
but don't get any inside the pan.  ATF+3 and RTV don't get along.  After
you've done that, wipe the bottom face of the transmission free of all oil
etc.  Carefully place the pan onto the tranny without smeering RTV
everywhere and fit a couple bolts back into the pan.  Make sure you put in
all the bolts before you tighten any of them.  You might find a tightening
torque figure in the FSM but IMO, just make them nice and snug without
killing yourself over it.

This is also a good time to inspect the drive axle boots and tranny cooling
lines for leaks.