timing chain replacement

Hello,
  Thanks for the alternator cleaning ideas.  All
belt-driven pumps are off the mighty 78 NYB.  A 1978
chassis manual I found on Ebay specifies removing the
fan, water pump and water pump housing as a unit AFTER
removing the vibration damper from the end of the
crankshaft.  If anyone has actually done this repair,
could you comment as to how this worked for you?
Also, should the water pump housing be hard as all
get-out to pull off once the bolts are removed? (Mine
is).

thanks
Bruce s
69 coupe