HP/HO B/RB engines - related items

Quoting W Bell <cbody67tx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> The 440-6bbl cam was always suspected to be "bigger" when the vehicles were
> introduced, due to the added power output of the engine.  The specs were the
> same as the regular 4bbl HP motor, though, but with the lower taper on the
> lobes (as mentioned).  This resulted in a greater contact area for the lifter
> to the lobe, yet still was enough taper to spin the lifter in its bore during
> operation.  6bbl motors did have heavier valve springs too and a larger oil
> pickup tube for the oil pump and usually a baffled oil pan.  I did score a
> new 440-6bbl oil pan for a Sport Fury 440 6-bbl from my Dodge dealer parts
> associate while they were still available new.
>
> At one time, there were some "276 degree" numbers being published for that
> 6bbl cam, but if you average the 268 and 284 durationsm, intake and exhaust,
> it comes out to 276.  Not sure why that number crept into things, but it was
> in some publications.

I looked at one of my books, and in 1970, both six pack and standard HP had the
same cam (276, 284 [I think], 54 overlap), as you daid.  However, the 68 and
possibly 69 HP's had a smaller cam (268 284 45 overlap) (the non-HP 440 as
installed stock on Imps had 256 260 30 or 32, real tiny cam).  Is it possible
that the larger cam was introduced on the 69 six pack, and then the same cam
used in all 440s next year?  I recall that according to some publication (do't
remember which) the six pack was supposed to have a larger cam.

D^2