Put the car in drive and move forward, then shift into neutral and slowly brake to a full stop.  Then shift into reverse.  If you hear a distinct CLUNK, you probably need new U-joints.  There are other ways to check that involve crawling underneath and wiggling the shaft to check for play, but this method is nearly foolproof.  Plus the joints are only a few $ and should probably be replaced just for peace of mind.

-- David

Chris Lynch <creesto@xxxxxxxxxx>

03/31/2004 02:57 PM
Please respond to mailing-list

        cc:
        Subject:        Re: IML: Mystery clunk

I had my '66 coupe out today!! Granted, I HAD to move it from one
apartment's garage to my new one, and the tags were expired, and I haven't
driven it since Sept., and the interior is still in pieces, and the fuel
filter hoses were leaking like all hell, and the power steering was whining
even though I just topped it off, STILL!! I got to drive my baby today!!
Took about 4 tries with Starter fluid in the carb and a jump from my Ca%%y,
but she fired up and was a joy to wheel about in. BUT. But I noticed a
mystery clunk. This one seems to occur when just starting out, and its
definitely coming from the right rear quarter area. Could this be a springs
thing? If it sounded more centered or under my feet, I would guess it to be
the tranny mount. HELP!

Best regards to all of you smarter and more experienced than me,
chris