L78-15 whitewals

True enough, but bias-belted tires were only a moderate improvement over
previous designs, while the steel belted radial was the very best technology
for handling, longevitiy, and fuel efficiency.

Triple banded whitewalls on Imperials began in 1966 and were under the 9.15 X
15 designation (usually Goodyear). This lasted through 1968. 1969 Imperials
featured a double band, with the inner one thick and the outer one thin
(usually Firestone). I believe that the size on 1969 Imperials was still the
9.15 X 15 designation. I'm not sure what year the L78 X 15 began on Chrysler
cars. The first tires that I bought under that numbering system were in 1973.

Michelen Steel Belted Radials were a dealer installed option on Imperials sold
in the Seattle area beginning in 1969, at BC Hawk Chrysler/Plymouth in
Bellevue, Washington.

Paul