Brake peddle trigger adjustment

Hi,
can the brake trigger adjustment be done with out the gauge to set it up ? The booster is chattering & the brakes work but will not bring the car to a sharp stop. The effect after driving a few miles is like having brake fade, the shoes have been set to the what the F.S.M says with no drag on the drums. The brake peddle is good with no air or sponge to it, the booster that I have fitted is the oval type & it is a rebuilt unit. However in the F.S.M it gives a different diagnostic for booster chatter if the bellows unit is used, this to is or seems strange when the boosters ( both types ) do the same job.

Any impute greatly appreciated!
Regards
Dave.