finding parts , 392's or otherwise

While I agree with Mikey just about all the way, the odd thing about the 392
Hemi is that it isn't even in the books NAPA has.  I was delighted to find
that it is in the AutoZone system.  Here was the funny part.  I'd go to
AutoZone and get the part number but more often than not they'd say I'm
sorry, we can't get that.  Then I'd take the part number to NAPA, where
there just happened to be a phenomenal parts guy, and he'd cross reference
the part number and get it for me, either off the shelf, within a few hours
from the local warehouse or within a few days from the national warehouse.

This was before I had a computer.  It's odd to think that I managed to
accomplish so much in the face of indifference at best from other museum
members and sundry parts houses and shops.  I was really struck by what the
founding member of this list had to say on the subject of isolation.  Time
was when a great many of us felt we were going this alone.  Few local Mopar
club members appreciated Imperials and even fewer knew anything about them.
And so many of us kept the faith almost as weirdoes.  These things ain't
Camaros or Mustangs or Chargers.  This forum took off largely because we
were so isolated and it became so successful mainly because there are almost
no other resources out there that support these great old cars.

I get quite a bang out of helping a fellow 58 owner.  Since I'm sure I have
made every mistake possible at least once as I stumbled from one problem to
another, it is very satisfying to help someone else make smoother progress.
And they can ignore me, too, if they wish, and prove me wrong into the
bargain and that'll be just fine with me.  I like being wrong when someone
gives me a better way to do things.

Hugh