From: <RandalPark@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 7:00 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 66 Imperial clock

> I happen to agree with you Arran, but in the '66 Imperial, the clock is
not easily accessible. When it needs service, it is very difficult to
remove.

> Some of my older cars have their clocks mounted near the glove compartment
so that when service is required, they can be taken out without
disassembling the rest of the dash. Even early '60s Imperials are not all
that difficult to work on. The '61 through '63 models are quite easy, but'65
and '66 (and maybe '64, but I don't know for sure) Imperials are a different
ball game. They require that the heavy chrome bezel, and the clear plastic
instrument cover over the gauge cluster be removed to access any of the
instruments including the clock. According to the shop manual, to do it
correctly, this involves dropping the steering column, and to do that one
needs to disconnect the transmission indicator needle. It is necessary to
disturb too many things in order to work on the clock in these cars.

> For these cars, I would say that any clock that would stay working for a
number of years without service would be an improvement, but only because of
this problem with accessibility.