66 Imperial clock

I happen to agree with you Arran, but in the '66 Imperial, the clock is not
easily accessible. When it needs service, it is very difficult to remove.

Some of my older cars have their clocks mounted near the glove compartment so
that when service is required, they can be taken out without disassembling the
rest of the dash. Even early '60s Imperials are not all that difficult to work
on. The '61 through '63 models are quite easy, but'65 and '66 (and maybe '64,
but I don't know for sure) Imperials are a different ball game. They require
that the heavy chrome bezel, and the clear plastic instrument cover over the
gauge cluster be removed to access any of the instruments including the clock.
According to the shop manual, to do it correctly, this involves dropping the
steering column, and to do that one needs to disconnect the transmission
indicator needle. It is necessary to disturb too many things in order to work
on the clock in these cars.

For these cars, I would say that any clock that would stay working for a number
of years without service would be an improvement, but only because of this
problem with accessibility.

Paul