1990 Imperial Air Suspension

There were two "air suspension" setups available on these cars.  Your type
is correctly called "Automatic Leveling Air Ride Suspension", the other is
"Automatic Load Leveling Suspension".

The Air Ride system uses four air springs rather than conventional steel
springs.  These can often be referred to as air bags or bladders.  There are
electronic ride height sensors built into each of the front struts as well
as into the right rear shock.  The compressor is mounted outside the trunk
area, behind the right rear wheel where it is sure to be able to take full
advantage of all muck and sludge that the rear wheel can kick up.  There is
a computer under the package shelf that controls the whole mess.

The rear load leveling system uses all four conventional springs but employs
rear air shocks to maintain correct rear suspension height.  The right rear
shock still has the electronic ride height sensor and the compressor is
still mounted in the same stratigic location.

In the event of a failure, you have few practical options.  Chrysler has
priced replacement shocks and struts for this car so high that it is rarely
worth the expense to repair the system.  Rear shocks can go for $700 and
front struts for twice that each.  This leaves you with little option than
to replace the air springs with conventional steel springs and install rear
air shocks to maintain rear suspension ride height.  You can get all the
springs you need from a salvage yard, any Dynasty, New Yorker, or 5th Avenue
of this style will do as a donor car.  There is little use getting the
struts from a wreck because you can easily buy those new....why install used
shocks in your car?  You can also buy the rear air shocks from Gabriel
(Hijackers) or I think Monroe has one too but don't quote me on that.

When installing the rear air shocks, it is easiest to just plumb the filler
line into the trunk area for manual height adjustment.  You won't need to
adjust it as often as you might think.

I am working on a retrofit kit that will convert the car to automatic ride
height control on the rear axle.  I'll post to the list when I have it
tested and ready.  There is little that can be done on the front axle due to
the cost of the air struts.

You may notice a slight ride difference after taking the air springs out but
the Imperial still rides like a dream on conventional springs.

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1990/Brad/Repairs/index.htm#rearshocks