'68 running warm <--my '67, too!

Quoting Mike Pittinaro <mechimike@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Dick Benjamin, or MacGeyver...you be the judge!
>
> On a serious note, I've noticed my own '67 running a
> bit on the warm side now that the daytime temps in our
> nation's capital have broken the 90 degree mark.  At
> idle, its fine, however the faster I go, the warmer
> the needle registers.  This seems counter-intuitive,
> since there would be more air rushing past the
> radiator at, say, 90 than at a stoplight (Not that I

Mike, its not counter-intuitive.  Yes, at 40 mph there is a lot less wind
through the radiator than, say 80, but also at 80, the engine power
requirements are far more than double.  Both my 68's in ambient temps below
70-75-75 refuse to reach operating temperature unless a good highway speed is
reached.  My LeBaron with a brand new radiator will also not reach operating
temperature even at higher ambient temps, unless a good speed is reached.

> it will begin climbing.  It stays within the
> "operating range" but gets into the top 1/3 of it,
> which I consider a bit too warm.  My old '67 would
> stay in the same place regardless of driving
> conditions.

I doubt these old gauges were that consistent.  Before you conclude the car is
running "too hot", measure the temperature.  As you recall, after we ran hard
my LeBaron this January at speeds well over 120 and then stopped, the
temperature gage was in the middle, but your temp measuring thingy only showed
190 (coolant temperature may have been 210, this car has a 190 thermostat).  I
think what is happening in these old cars is that they were designed such that
they run a bit cool at low speeds.  This may have been good for back then, so
that they give a chance for the oil to cool down after a strong highway run
(remember, the 440 does not hold a whole lot of oil considering the engine
size).  Now however, modern oils can take the heat much better, so its better
to keep the engine warmer than cooler.

D^2