'68 running warm <--my '67, too!

> the aerodynamics are such that too much air gets
> around instead of through
> the radiator if the fan isn't doing it's job.  Of
> course there is a lot more
> heat rejection at high speeds also (that extra gas
> goes partly into heat).

Partly?  I think the efficiency of a MODERN engine is
only around 20%.  I'm pretty sure that ol' 440 is
heating up like an oven at high speed.  Luckily,
there's so much metal there to heat up.  Interesting
about the areodynamics, though.  It would be fun to
put one of the old boxcars into a wind tunnel and see
how it did.  Dimitris Dardalis has an air dam he put
together out of sheet metal at the lower leading edge
of his '68, below the bumper.  I wonder how that would
affect airflow, and if it improves flow thru the
radiator.

I'm a big fan (pun partially intended) of electric
fans.  They are much more efficient than mechanical
fans, even clutch fans, and extend water pump life
greatly.  I've used them with good luck on everything
from 2 litre 4 bangers to the 6 litre small block in
my Satellite.  I'm definitely considering a setup for
the Imperial...especially if I get the A/C charged up
this summer.

> Another cause of high speed overheating is the lack
> of an anti-collapse
> spring in the lower radiator hose.   The average gas

Good point.  My volvo was missing its, and I formed a
spring out of coat hanger wire wrapped around a broom
handle.  With a little finnessing it fit perfectly.

We mechanical engineers, we're good at making things
out of coat hangers.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

One point eight litres