chrysler water tube

i know this does not relate to my 53 imperial, but i have a 54 windsor that is giving me cooling problems. i will have the radiator done and change the cap, but iam wondering about the water tube. if it corrodes, do the rotten parts block the water flow or do they just drop off where they are not a real problem? what exactly does this tube do and if it is not there what are the  associated problems? it seems easy enough to replace looking in the book, but is it really that easy. any help with these questions would be appreciated..dennis  53 custom, 54 windsor