IML Inspections? Warning: bad dealership!!

IML Inspections? Warning: bad dealership!!

Paul, and All,

I suspect this topic should head to the salon, but as I, in all me years here, have never been there, I reply to the whole list. But this is it for me on this thread to the whole list.

As in all dealings, and especially with inspections and appraisals, KNOW YOUR SOURCE.

Many years ago I posted to this same discussion, under cruiser66, maybe its in the archive, I didn't find it so I'll be as brief as possible

Because I am involved in mechanical inspections and vehicle appraisals as a part of my business, I hope you all realize these are 2 totally different levels of evaluation you can put your Imperial thru, and most, if not all, appraisers do NOT perform mechanical inspections beyond simple use/function. A good appraiser will do a paint film mil thickness test, a simple inexpensive magnetic gauge which can detect even the best hidden "bondo job." Aside from that and ranking the cars worth against similar recent sales, what you get is a "looks OK to me" report from most appraisers. And I might add, there is no national license requirement, and in near all states, no state license requirements. There are "societies of appraisers" but if you look over their info these groups are mostly involved with "estate type" property, diamond rings, etc.

A "presale mechanical inspection" is, at a minimum, what the folks who live in "safety inspection" states get, (an inspection to see that all mechanical systems are in good working order) PLUS in depth tests, such as; compression test, cylinder leak down test, electrical load testing, pull the wheels and inspect brakes, etc,etc.

Unless you do this, or have someone else do this, or you have a long term first hand knowledge of the car your buying,
You might as well put on a blindfold and just hand over your cash when your buying a car.

I hope, as time permits, to post an in-depth explanation on this topic at my website, but if anyone has a quick question, PLEASE EMAIL IN PRIVATE, and I will reply as soon as possible.

I will not post to the list any further on this topic

My
.02
Ron