'56 Turnsignal Switch

With the front doors back together after installing the rebuilt power window
switch, my wife and I decided to take the Imp up to my in-laws for father's
day yesterday - about a two hour drive one-way - and enjoy the nice weather.
The trip was a pleasure all around and without trouble from the car with one
minor exception.  I am now certain that the turn signal switch needs repair or
replacement as it no longer will auto-cancel after a left turn (right still
works fine).  I'm assuming that one of the catches is broken (were they plastic
back then?).

This leads me to two questions:
1.  Is the switch repairable or is replacement the only option? (and if so,
from what source?)
2.  Is it possible to get a more "modern" switch that will incorporate a
lane-change position as newer cars now have?

Jeff
'56 Sedan
Trenton, NJ