'67 hubcap annoyances...

Quoting Mike Pittinaro <mechimike@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > In fact, since the radial tires have "softer" side
> > walls than the old bias plys,
> > it makes even less sense to attribute the noise to
>
> Edumacate me...I thought radials had a stiffer
> sidewall....I have heard that cars originally intended
> to run on bias plies have a harsher ride when switched
> to radials.

I think that's because the air pressure of the radial needs to be much higher
(the recommended tire pressure for the cross plys was 24 psi in our imps, if
you run your radial at 24 psi on the highway, it will probably overheat and
separate, but you will get a good ride for a while!).

> Also, one would think that the stiffer
> sidewalls would enhance cornering ability, which
> modern cars seem so very proud of...and which most
> older cars (at least, American ones) lacked in.

Again, that's due to the softer sidewall.  The side wall deflects sideways under
cornering, allowing the tread of the tire to remain sort-of square on the road.
 The cross ply has stiffer side walls, and the whole tire deflects sideways,
and the tread is not as square with the road.  Its hard to explain w/out a
sketch.

> Having never driven a car with bias plies (I'm nly 26
> years old) I have no first hand knowledge, I can only
> go by what I've been told by people old enough to have
> driven bias ply shod automobiles.

Me neither.  Its old and out-dated technology.  Our cars do much better with
modern tires.

D^2