'64 convertible questions

Hey Ed:

The top mechanism is hydraulic and it may leak and be out of fluid, so the pump
may be running, with nothing happening. Most likely one of the hoses is
leaking, or else the hydraulic cylinder that actually lifts the top mechanism.
The cable holds the top tight around the windows, but actually has nothing to
do with the top going up and down.

The actual hydraulic pump itself is standard, and any of the vendors in
Hemmings should be able to help you.  I think one is named "Hydro-electric".
The pump is located under the rear seat.

Also in Hemmings, you will generally see an ad for convertible tops, with the
name of "Sydney" and a phone number.  This is where I bought my top.  It has
the correct grain and I am happy with it.

The seat back "hooks" into the forward front of the top well.  If you lift the
seatback straight up, it should come free.  (If you need a new top well liner,
Gary Goers has an exact pattern that he made from my car).

There is a used Imperial parts dealer in California, that will re-manufacture
the carrier support bearing.  I don't recall his name - but he is listed in the
IML resource guide.

Feel free to ask any other convertible questions,
Wayne Jorgensen
1966 Convertible