'64 convertible questions

> 1. The top won't go down; motor sounds good but nothing happens.
> It appears that a cable on the driver's side is broken. Is there
> anything I can do myself to determine why the top won't work?

The systems were filled with brake fluid.  Chances are it has either leaked
from a failed seal or turned in to a cryastline jelly that is very hard to get
out of everything. Pull the back seat out first and check the fluid level in
the pump.  Their is a screw plug in the end of the tank.  Originally the system
used brake fluid but the rebuilt stuff now says to use ATF.

> 2. If I can't repair it myself, how much of the mechanism is
> "Imperial only?" Can the top motor, hoses and cables be
> located/replaced easily? How much does it cost to replace the worn
> top, should I go ahead and have all the mechanical work done at
> the same time? Chris Hawkins recommended a KEE top, but does
> anyone know where to purchase them?

I don't believe anything on the hydraulics is Imperial only.  Recently had to
redo a '63 and all the parts are off the shelf from Hydro-E-Lectric
http://www.hydroe.com/  Be aware that the seals in the ends of the pistons have
a bad habit of breaking and the old hoses get brittle.  I haven't had to buy a
new top so can't offer any advice on that one.

> 3. How do I remove the rear seatback and/or fabric that holds the
> folded top? I want to get into the trunk, and the trunk lock is
> broken. I removed the bolts from the base of the rear seatback,
> but it still seems to be attached somewhere at the top. Any
> suggestions?

If you remove the bottom of the seat and then the two bolts holding the back
you should be able to wrestle it out of there.  It has to come up then out.

> 4. Is a remanufactured carrier bearing support available for the
> convertible? How about the idler arm? I know they are different on
> Imperial convertibles.

Lowell Howe has them.  Great product from a great guy.  You can find him under
the parts vendors section of the web page.