The ATF/ Moby Dick connection

Quoting Dick Benjamin <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>:

> those days for clutches and bands.  Dexron/Mercon is an attempt to duplicate
> the lubricity, anti-foaming and detergent properties, and it comes pretty
> darn close.   The original AQ-ATF type A was indeed whale oil.

Dick, I think the main advantage of the whale oil along with many animal oils is
the organic acids that react with the metal surface and form an oxice layer
that is far more resistant to adhesive wear.  This is necessary when the
lubrication is non-hydrodynamic, like in heavy loaded gears.  Modern high
pressure additives have exceeded the performance of these old animal fats, but
still function in a similar fashion.  There are similar anti-friction and
anti-wear additives in modern motor oils.

> The
> environmental activists caused the demise of that industry - you can't go
> out and harpoon your own whales anymore.

You could still grow your own whales though, all you need is a large swiming
pool.  Dick, we know you have the space!

D^2