'58 '59 thread

Hey Michael:

Thanks for the heads up.  Yes, I'm still looking for three pieces for my '58: passenger door chrome (front, four door) rear window trim chrome (lower right/passenger side) and a spark wire cover.  Frankly, I've been spending more time reading and enjoying IML threads than I have working on the car.  My Imperial is about a mile away in a garage at a rental house that my family owns.  It might as well be 100 miles away for all that I get to work on it.  I'm currently working 1 and 3/4 jobs and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.  I have no time.  For now, therefore, I'm just relieved that the car is out of the weather and resting comfortably.  Whenever I look at it I imagine how glad it is that I've saved it from the Salvation Army.  I'm crazy about that car.

I still haven't tried to start it, but instead have the 1-7 cylinders soaking in Marvel Mystery Fluid.  I figure after sitting for 27 years, it can't hurt.  I have to pull the fan motor to get at No. 8, but it's been in the 90s here during the day lately and muggier than a sauna, so I've been doing other, air conditioned things.  I've also surrendered to the task of marshalling money together to send it out for the engine, brake and transmission work just so I can get it on the road.  That's a personal defeat, but at least then I'll be able to keep it at home and do trim work on it on a more casual basis.  I really wanted to crack the motor myself though.

While I'm bummed that I can't get to it daily, I know with a little more persistence and patience (and money), I'll be finning down the road in the Mighty Imperial.  I'm still trying to come up with a name.  My daily driver, a very white 1986 Mercedes 300 SDL, is the "Mighty Whitey", a little play on words there since I'm so totally your average white guy.  The Imperial is raven, but "Mighty Blacky" doesn't really roll off the toungue.  I'm waiting for an inspiration.  Another IMer cleverly calls his '58 the "Black Bitch", but I've got little kids and a pretty wife who doesn't ken to profanity so I've got to keep it Rated G.  That rules out "Metal Mistress" too, which I thought was pretty cool.  Also, I live in a teeny Louisiana town and I'm the city attorney, and everyone knows the "Mighty Whitey."  As a result, I can't easily get away with driving a car that is named something vulgar without appearing, well... vulgar.  Around here it's best not to drive up to church on Sunday in the "Sh-t Sled," so I'll have to keep musing.  Any suggestions?  I think I mentioned once before that my brother had made a name suggestion.  I recall he offered "The Sanctimonious Crotch Yacht," or something like that, but I'm not warming up to it.

Patrick M.
1958 Southampton Foor Door Hardtop, ailing but on the Road to Rejuvenation
Southeast Louisiana