From: <imperial59@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 6:30 AM
Subject: Re: IML: My new '59

> > It is sad that I have not been able to enjoy driving my renewed
> > 1959 Imperial, since I have not yet been able to find any auto shops
> > which have the adapter rings to raise the air cleaner.
>
> Why don't you  buy a chrome one for ten bucks until you find what you need
to make the original work.  All the auto parts stores have the chrome air
cleaners sitting on the shelf.  I don't think you are going to find an
adapter to make the original work...  They have adapters to be able to use
the 4bbl sized air cleaner on a 2bbl carb.  You need one that will raise the
aircleaner and then go to a smaller opening of the '59 air cleaner.  Usually
these are made of rubber and the rubber would soon fail allowing the air
cleaner to drop down and sit on the choke plate holding it closed. I have
tried to do this on several cars and never found anything that works.  I
hope you have better luck than I have!!  Please let me know if you do find
something that works.